LCOOL ACT invites any interested LCOOL members to a weekend on the Clyde Mountain. Situated between Bateman's Bay and Braidwood, the Clyde is a well known obstacle on the Kings Hwy for holiday makers returning to Canberra - with it's steep hills and windy roads, it slows traffic to a crawl.
But that's on the bitumen - our trip will start at Shallow Crossing,
and take in the mountain peak of Mt Mogood (lookout), and down through
the valleys and streams that surround this area.
The drive is of medium standard and can be completed by any Toyota with
All Terrain tyres or better.
The plan is to meet at Shallow
Crossing Camping Ground on either Friday afternoon/evening for an
evening of entertainment by the campfire, or otherwise by early
For those who prefer their camper trailers, these won't be a problem.
We will depart the Camping Ground at 0900 to complete the track on the
south of Kings Hwy (shown below). Our aim is to get back to
the camp site before 4pm so that we can have a half reasonable social
afternoon/evening around the fire. Kids will be able to
swim in the river, hire canoes, or generally run about - a heap of room
here to spread their wings.
0900 departure once again. You can pack up your gear
to take with you, or otherwise leave it at the campground until the end
of the day - the
finish point for Sunday is at the campground, so it might be easier to
leave until after the drive. A couple
of the tracks are particularly steep and not trailer friendly.
Previous LCOOL trips have raised money for the RFDS (the Simpson
Trip raised in excess of $1000). Being in the area that
are, it's appropriate to raise money instead for the Southcare Rescue
Helicopter. The fundraising activity will be explained at
on Friday night.
Preparation only involves
- all will become clear!! ;-)
- For those who know Shallow Crossing, we have booked out the smaller of the camp areas entirely (the one to the left of the road, just before the river).
- .Costs are (per night):
- $7 per person
- $5 for 5-15 year olds
- 4 year olds and under, free
- Jim will come across and collect the money on Saturday afternoon when we have returned from the days drive.
- There is a heap of pallets on hand which we will need to break up if we want to burn, or otherwise go and collect some timber locally (anyone got a chainsaw?)
- Turn off Kings Hwy on to River Rd at S35°38.481' E150°07.579'
- Camp site is at S35°31.821' E150°11.881'
- There are no shops at Shallow Crossing so you will need to be self sufficient, also, there are no powered sites.
- There are showers and toilets, however these are a short walk up a small (;-) hill
- Ch 26 will be used for communications.
- Some photo's from the recce, conducted in Jan, are here
- A couple of the tracks are a bit tight, and some bush pin stripes may result on the Sunday.. (Nothing that wouldn't polish out resulted from the recce)
In closing, we look forward to a great social activity with some pretty
reasonable 4wding, and great scenery. LCOOLers from all
More information is here
for those looking for a read.
Your tour guides,
Sandy, Pete, and Ivan